Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Finally Here!

What started in April of ´06 has finally come to fruition; Cass and I are officially Peace Corps volunteers. We were two of 31 new volunteers, the other 29 are some of the greatest people I have ever met. The eleven weeks we spent together was an experience to enrich a lifetime; not to forget the amazing facilitators of Spanish and youth development, they are truly wonderful at their jobs.
Settling into to our new home here in Perú is similar to moving in the States; currently occupying one room (which we are not going to live in) while we are painting and furnishing another, still living out of our suitcases. However, we have no complaints, our family is bien amable, and we have already finished painting our room; cream and blue. We are so Peruvian! Yesterday, I completely lived up to the stereotype that Americans cannot do anything with their own hands; I ¨helped¨my host dad install electricity in our our room. After several hours of his booming voice yelling words at me in Spanish, that I don´t understand in English, i.e. current tester, all I could do was laugh; hell, everyone else was. The final product, one outlet. I am now a better person, for having endured that. I am certain it was the first in a long line of stories similar to this, to come.
So, we are here, we are happy, and we are same. Hope all is the same for all of you. Well, if you got nothing else, at least you got the here part.

We will try and post some pictures on our next blog, we are still figuring this guy out.

Peace and Love!

No comments: